Efforts are under way to restore the Milton Community House at Goodrich Square.
The city of Milton has released a Request for Proposal for architectural services related to the renovation of the former 1914 train depot. The city-owned building is located on the north end of Goodrich Square, and is primarily used as a public gathering space with seating for 70 persons. The building can be rented on a daily basis for a variety of events, and features a kitchen and restrooms. It is also used for storage by the Milton Department of Public Works.
New plans include kitchen improvements; an enlarged seating area; office space for the Milton Area Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Tourism; and room for Milton historical displays. An emphasis will be placed on interior and exterior modifications to mimic the early 1900s.
The renovation efforts are in conjunction with a 2010 plan to restore the park known as Goodrich Square, which is one of Milton’s two downtown districts. After redevelopment plans were approved by the city, a steering committee was formed to move the project along.
Working with city engineers Baxter & Woodman Inc. and Consulting Engineers of Burlington, and park planner Vandewalle & Associates Inc., Madison, the Goodrich Square Steering Committee began to focus on the redevelopment of the north side of the park. Work is to include the creation of outdoor performance space, building of a fountain or provision of a statue, identify walkways and paths and create a more formal atmosphere.
The old train depot sits in the center of the project, and is the next logical target for rehabilitation.
Architectural proposals for the Milton Community House are due to the city by noon on May 18. A non-mandatory question-and-answer session and preproposal meeting will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Milton Community House, 20 Parkview Drive.
Keith Barber is a data reporter at The Daily Reporter. He can be reached at (414) 225-1821.