Rome’s church wasn’t built in a day
The society had purchased the old church in 1975 to save it from scheduled demolition, and has maintained the structure since that time.
The cream city brick church was constructed in 1868, and has become a focal point of this small town in eastern Jefferson County. VIEW A PHOTO OF THE CHURCH
State grants will be sought to fix deteriorating soffits and fascia, and to restore louvers. Much of the original architectural wood framing is intact, which displays hand-sewn craftsmanship of the age. Trusses, for example, were hand cut, and the entire building is assembled with pegs to hold boards rather than with nails. The building also has no electricity, and is an historic treasure to be sure.
Society members are looking for someone to perform a structure report to move the renovation application ahead.
Community financial support will also be needed as a contingency to funding. Donations will be accepted in any amount, and may be forwarded to: The Town of Sullivan Historical Society, W3172 Fairview Drive, Unit 2, Helenville, Wisconsin 53137.
Keith Barber is a data reporter at The Daily Reporter. He can be reached at 414-225-1821.