Since the turn of the 2000s, roundabouts have been a growing phenomenon on Wisconsin highways. According to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, 350 roundabouts have been built in the state through 2015.
WisDOT officials say the intersections make traffic safer and more efficient, largely because they reduce the severity of crashes while allowing drivers to yield rather than fully stopping at a stop sign or red traffic light. Opponents, namely Republican state lawmakers, say they harm businesses that rely on trailers to transport goods.
Legislators have regularly put forward bills since at least 2011 that would require WisDOT to get a municipality’s permission before building a new roundabout. So far, none have been signed into law.
Below is an interactive map with all 350 roundabouts that have been built through 2015. Clicking on the icons shows more information about each project.
Wisconsin Roundabouts News
- MnDOT study: Roundabouts significantly reduce fatal accidents
- State adds nearly 30 roundabouts as lawmakers renew call for limits
- Roundabouts grab most attention at listening sessions, Facebook page
- Circling back: Transportation officials again looking to traffic circles
- Roundabout construction takes dip in 2015
- I-39/90 interchange rebuild to include 3 new roundabouts
- Mashuda readying for reconstruction work on Washington County state highway
- Highway 67 bridge demo means I-94 ramp, freeway closures
- For some contractors, roundabouts a burden
- Roundabout bill up for another go-around
- WisDOT defends roundabouts, use of alternative project delivery
- Mortenson’s Bunchek never underestimated a career in construction
- Innovative approach keeps reconstruction in fast lane
- Oshkosh project goes roundabout
- Bill seeks local say for roundabout projects (UPDATE)
- Meeting set for Germantown intersection improvements
- Bill would require local approval of roundabouts
- Roundabouts not going away anytime soon
- Highway 41 project complicates new construction
- A Diamond in the rough — for drivers