Stoughton hospital up and running after evacuation
STOUGHTON, Wis. (AP) — Stoughton Hospital evacuated 18 patients Sunday after receiving numerous bomb threats over the last 24 hours.
The first threat came in about 8 p.m. Saturday, but Stoughton police and Dane County sheriff’s officials found nothing.
Hospital officials say they received more threats by phone on Sunday, so at about noon they evacuated 16 patients to Skaalen Sunset Home and two patients to Madison hospitals.
Once authorities deemed the building was secure, patients began returning to the hospital about 3:30 p.m.
Authorities planned to release more information late Sunday afternoon.
2 Milwaukee 20-year-olds describe Haiti escape
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Two Milwaukee-area 20-year-olds who were in Haiti with other students from Lynn University in Florida are back in the U.S. and describing their harrowing escape.
Tom Schloemer of Fox Point and Melissa Elliot of Merton arrived back on their Florida campus on Friday.
Schloemer said they were with six others who escaped the quake, then dashed through the streets of Port-au-Prince, passing crumbled houses, dead bodies and fearing aftershocks.
They held hands as they ran through dangerous areas. With the help of an armed U.S. Embassy worker, an armed U.S. Marine and a Coast Guard member, they made it to the U.S. Embassy and slept together on the ground. They were flown to the Dominican Republic, and eventually back to Florida.
Four students and two professors from Lynn were in the hotel and haven’t been found.
Family of 7 in Windsor sick from carbon monoxide
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A family of seven in the town of Windsor was sent to the hospital Sunday for carbon monoxide poisoning.
DeForest firefighters and officials from Madison Gas and Electric Co. were called to the home on Sunday. Officials spent three hours ventilating the home and trying to find the source of the leak.
Deputy Fire Chief Brent Foss said the leak might have come from a swimming pool heater.
The family members started feeling sick about the same time the carbon monoxide detector indicated a problem.
The two adults and five children were alert when firefighters arrived. They were taken to a Madison hospital.
UW-Madison students home from Haiti
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A small group of University of Wisconsin-Madison engineering students who were working in Haiti during Tuesday’s earthquake are now back home safe.
Students Tyler Lark, Eyleen Chou, and Randi Schieber were with a group of six people from the university who were in Haiti. They were working about 70 miles north of Port-au-Prince on an assessment and surveying project to fix a bridge.
WISC-TV reports the group crossed into the Dominican Republic to fly home.
Chou said the group feels lucky and had a lot of help getting home.
The students said they felt the earthquake while they were surveying in fields, but it had little impact in their location.