OCONOMOWOC, Wis. (AP) — Authorities in southeastern Wisconsin say a resort employee mixed chlorine with another chemical, sparking an explosion that left her with broken bones and a mild chemical burn.
Oconomowoc police say the explosion was reported Tuesday about 8:45 a.m. at the Olympia Resort & Conference Center.
According to Police Chief Dave Beguhn, the employee was mixing the chemicals in the laundry room in the basement. He said employees are told which chemicals can be mixed, and in this case the employee apparently made “an unfortunate error.”
Thirty other resort employees and four emergency responders went to the hospital as a precaution. Beguhn said one emergency worker suffered a mild chemical burn to the foot.