Quantcast
Home / Government / Welder causes Madison water tower fire

Welder causes Madison water tower fire

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A worker welding at an empty water tower in Madison on Friday sparked a fire that caused some residents to evacuate from their homes for more than an hour.

According to the Madison Fire Department, nearby residents were asked to evacuate as a precaution because there was an initial concern that the water tower might collapse. The fire was extinguished in about 40 minutes.

A Madison utility manager said workers were doing prep work before painting the 100,000-gallon tower when insulation around telephone and other communications cables caught fire.

A structural engineer will inspect the tower Monday to determine if repairs are necessary.

Information from: Wisconsin State Journal, http://www.madison.com/wsj

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*