Lane restrictions due to roadwork projects will continue during the Labor Day weekend.
According to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, among the highways where travelers may find restrictions include I-94 south of Milwaukee, I-94 east of Madison, and Highways 41 near Oshkosh and 53 near Rice Lake.
Most work will cease in work zones by noon on Friday, Sept. 3, and won’t resume until 6 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 7.
Peak travel times during the Labor Day weekend are expected to be from noon until 8 p.m. on both Friday, Sept. 3, and Monday, Sept. 6.
For up-to-the-minute information on work zones and incidents that may affect travel, motorists can use the state’s 511 traveler information system. That’s accessed by dialing 511 on a telephone or cell phone or going to 511wi.gov.
Among work zones Labor Day weekend travelers may encounter include (number correlates to position on accompanying map):
1. I-94 between Illinois State Line and WIS 50, 4.6 miles. Reconstruction reduces traffic to two lanes in each direction with all traffic on one side of the median. Additionally, the I 94/County C interchange is closed. Use WIS 50 or WIS 165 as alternate routes. Expect delays during peak travel periods.
2. I-94 between College and Layton Avenues in Milwaukee County, 3 miles. Right side auxiliary lanes are closed. Additionally, the I-94 and Layton Avenue interchange and northbound exit to Howard Avenue are closed. Use College Avenue as an alternate route. Expect delays during peak travel periods.
3. I-794 Hoan Bridge, 1 mile. Traffic is reduced to two lanes in each direction. Right lane and shoulders are closed.
4. Reconstruction of I-43 bridge over WIS 164 requires 11-foot width restriction through the work zone. Two lanes open in each direction.
5. WIS 11 west of Burlington, 5.5 miles. Reconstruction has closed highway with detour via WIS 36 and WIS 120. Access to local residences and businesses is available.
6. WIS 20 intersection with US 45 south. Intersection is closed for construction of new roundabout. Detour for WIS 20 via WIS 75, WIS 11, and I-94. Detour for US 45 is via WIS 11 and WIS 75. Access to local residences and businesses is available.
7. WIS 20 from Miller Road to I-43, 4 miles. Bridge over Honey Creek is being replaced. Detour via I-43 and WIS 83. Access to local residences and businesses is available.
8. U.S. 41 between WIS 44 and Breezewood Lane, 16 miles. Shoulders are closed in several locations in the work zone. There’s an 11-foot width restriction on southbound U.S. 41 over the Lake Butte des Morts causeway just north of Oshkosh.
9. U.S. 41 between Suamico and Abrams, 9 miles. Work zone with no lane restrictions expected through the holiday weekend.
10. WIS 76 between Greenville and Stephensville, 4.8 miles. Pavement replacement has closed highway with detour via Outagamie County highways JJ, A, S and WIS 76.
11. U.S. 45 from Waupaca County I to Reinke Road, 0.7 mile. Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction.
12. WIS 47 from Black Creek to WIS 29, 17.4 miles. WIS 47 is closed with a detour via Outagamie County S, WIS 55, and WIS 29. Access to local residences and businesses is available.
13. WIS 64 between the east Oconto County Line and WIS 32, 12.3 miles. Pavement replacement has closed highway. Detour via WIS 32, Oconto County M, Oconto County B/Z and WIS 64.
14. I-94 between Dane County N and I-39/90 (Badger) Interchange, 5.2 miles. All traffic shifted to one side of the median with speed reduced to 55 mph and 11-foot width restriction through the work zone. Two lanes open in each direction.
15. U.S. 12 between Lake Delton and Baraboo, 5.7 miles. Construction of new U.S. 12 affects traffic at intersection just south of I-90/94. Eastbound U.S. 12 traffic will use three roundabouts at that location; Westbound U.S. 12 will use two roundabouts. There are no lane restrictions or detours, however, expect delays in the area during peak travel times.
16. WIS 44 between Kingston to Green Lake County H, 2.3 miles. Highway is closed with detour via WIS 33 and WIS 73. Access to local residences and businesses is available.
17. WIS 73 between East Berlin St. and Neshkoro, 2 miles. Culvert replacement reduces traffic to one lane with a temporary traffic signal directing traffic.
18. WIS 21 near the Wisconsin River, 1 mile. Roadwork, wayside, and boat landing improvements will reduce traffic to one lane with a temporary traffic signal directing traffic.
19. WIS 13/54 in Wisconsin Rapids, 1 mile. Work on Riverview Expressway Bridge. Motorists can expect single lane closures with a 10-foot width restriction.
20. WIS 153 Mosinee high and low bridges, 1.8 miles; WIS 153/Ranger St. Old 51 North Intersection. Bridge and road work reduces traffic to one lane in each direction with a 10-foot width restriction. Roundabout construction closes Old Highway 51 between WIS 153 and Maple Ridge Road. WIS 153 is open to through traffic.
21. U.S. 51/WIS 29 in Wausau, 6 miles. Two lanes open in each direction. Northbound U.S. 51 has narrow shoulders between Sherman Street and WIS 52.
22. WIS 64 west of Antigo between Highland Road and Ackley Road, 1 mile. Traffic reduced to one lane with an 11-foot width limit over the Black Brook Bridge and traffic controlled by temporary traffic signals.
23. WIS 64 in Merrill, 1 mile. WIS 64 is closed with detour via Lincoln County Z and County K. Access to local residences and businesses is available.
24. U.S. 51 north of Mercer between Laymans Road and West Sandhill Road, 1 mile. Laymans Creek Bridge repairs reduce traffic to one lane with traffic controlled by temporary traffic signals.
25. U.S. 51 south of Hurley, 2 miles. Highway repairs require traffic to drive on milled surface through the work zone.
26. WIS 77 in Montreal between Plant Street and Kokogan Street, 1 mile. Montreal River Bridge repairs reduce traffic to one lane with traffic controlled by traffic signals.
27. WIS 13 at Red Cliff, 1 mile. Road repairs with traffic driving on milled asphalt. Detour available via Bayfield County C between Washburn and Cornucopia. Road is open to local residences and businesses.
28. U.S. 53 south of Osseo, 1 mile. Reconstruction closes U.S. 53 with detour via WIS 121, I-94, and U.S. 10.
29. U.S. 53 between New Auburn and 26th Avenue in Barron County, 29 miles. Traffic is reduced to one lane between New Auburn and County I, just south of U.S. 8; Traffic is shifted to one side of the median with one lane open in each direction between U.S. 8 and 26th Avenue.
30. U.S. 53 from Spooner to Trego, 4 miles. Traffic reduced to one lane in each direction on one side of the median through the work zone. Temporary traffic signals control traffic at intersection with U.S. 63/Washburn County E.