Milwaukee County officials have announced South Shore Park has received $900,000 in grants, which will in part lead to reconstruction of area amenities, according to a news release from the County Executive Chris Abele’s office.
Two grants — a $100,000 from the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and an $800,000 grant from the Wisconsin Waterways Commission — are tied to goals for improving water quality and redeveloping the waterfront area.
Money dedicated to redevelopment will be put toward:
- Reconstructing the park’s boat launch ramp;
- replacing the failing bulkhead wall while integrating it with a new promenade connecting area facilities;
- building a public boat wash at the west end of the launch;
- reconstructing the boat launch parking lot;
- replace the current gatehouse/fee booth with a new structure next to the launch itself; and
- provide lighting, signage, benches, landscaping, kayak/canoe launch improvements and pavement markings.