The Associated Builders and Contractors of Wisconsin on Wednesday will celebrate its first-place winner for the 2023 apprentice skills competition.
U.S. Representative Scott Fitzgerald will recognize apprentice Hayden Oesterich at Lyons Electric, 75 Enterprise Road, in Delafield at 2 p.m., ABC officials said. Oesterich came in first place in the Wisconsin electrical division and will go to the national competition in Kissimmee, Florida, from March 15-17.
Apprentices from state technical colleges competed in four construction categories and showcased their skills at the Washington County Fairgrounds in January. Participants showed off their skills in carpentry, electrical, HVAC and plumbing contests.
Here were the competition winners listed by category.
- 1st – Alison Gordee of Steve Wirtz Builders
- 2nd – Ryan Sankey of Bob Anderson Builders
- 3rd – Noah Kusserow of Bob Anderson Builders
- 1st – Hayden Oestreich of Lyons Electric
- 2nd – Ely Faretta of Innovation Electrical Service
- 3rd – Nathan Myers of NSI Electrical Contractors
- 1st – Adam Ebbers of DeTroye Electric Service
- 1st – Alexis Rodriguez Vazquez of Dave Jones
- 2nd – Jason Tuschl of Dave Jones
- 3rd – Nikolaus Liggett of RHD Plumbing
“This is an awesome experience for the apprentices who get to measure their skills with those of their fellow competitors,” ABC of Wisconsin president John Mielke said. “The competition allows us a glimpse of the amazing talents of our future workforce. We are certainly proud of all of the competitors.”
ABC reported having nearly 2,000 active apprentices enrolled and 540 enrollees incoming to its program in August. It was the highest enrollment in the program’s 35-year history, officials said.