Construction-related groups were among the top corporate donors to Wisconsin's Democratic and Republican parties and legislative fundraising committees last year.
In most election years, it’s not uncommon to see construction groups using political contributions to show appreciation for policies that benefit the industry.
Responding to complaints about new work-search rules, a state advisory panel is considering increasing the amount of time laid-off workers can continue to receive unemployment benefits without having to look for new jobs.
The top official at a prominent construction group is calling on the state to add to the penalties that can now be imposed on employers who knowingly misclassify direct employees as independent contractors.
A union representative is warning that proposed changes to a state statute could result in fraud charges for those who make mere mistakes when filing for unemployment benefits.
Despite the opposition of one Madison sheet-metal worker, trades union members largely expressed agreement Tuesday morning with their leaders' call to reason with lawmakers over right-to-work legislation rather than take to the street in protest.
Even as Republican lawmakers try to tie eliminating the state’s prevailing wage to lowered costs for road projects, the top transportation official says he is skeptical about the hoped-for savings.
In an article appearing next to Terry McGowan’s byline in the winter issue of the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 139’s Wisconsin News, the president and business manager of the road-builders and excavators union declares there are “strong political allies standing with us” in the fight against right-to-work legislation, changes to the state’s prevailing wage and similar[...]
Federal investigators have received a formal invitation to come into Wisconsin and investigate alleged instances of worker misclassification.
Construction industry representatives are taking defensive positions as state policymakers prepare to solicit advice on possible changes to Wisconsin’s system of paying out unemployment benefits.
State sticks with tax brackets to balance company payments A proposed state unemployment fund surtax has died from lack of support and fear that road builders and other seasonal employers […]
Wisconsin’s unemployment trust fund is more than $1.5 billion shy of its $1.5 billion recommended minimum balance.
- Minnesota approves giant solar energy project near Minneapolis
- Veterinary center wants to build $13M clinic in Pewaukee
- TOP BIDDERS: The biggest recent winning bids around the state
- OSHA targets silica dust for engineered stone industry
- Biden administration announces $1.4B to improve rail safety and boost capacity in 35 states, including Wisconsin
- Dane County pledges $1.5M boost Madison homeless shelter
- Construction jobs rise in 45 states over last 12 months
- Matt Moroney steps up as CEO of Wangard Partners
- The trade labor shortage is nothing new, but its impacts are
- Wauwatosa gains $1M for affordable housing through Barrett Lo redevelopment deal
- $700M Brewers stadium overhaul proposal comes with new contracting language
- Wisconsin unions, businesses rally support for Line 5 relocation project
- First prefabricated bridge in US installed in Eau Claire County
- Illinois developer worked with Wisconsin contractor to build 258-unit Wauwatosa apartment complex
- VJS Construction raises the roof for Bruce Guadalupe Community School expansion project
- Microgrid pilot project will store energy for village affected by outages
- Dane County sees uptick in highway work zone crashes, on track to exceed last year
- The Hop streetcar will debut newest service route in fall with limited service
- FPC Live slims venue proposal to 1 downtown building
- Children’s Hospital urgent care center in Milwaukee gets first round of city approval
- With Sonag Construction shut down, feds move to block indicted owner from collecting leftover assets
- Four contractors selected to build border wall prototypes
- UW-Milwaukee’s Greenstreet shaping minds (and the city)
- Turning the Corner(s) (PHOTO SLIDESHOW)