Kenosha officials championed the bill for its apprenticeship requirements, while some contractors said some rules were vague.
Johnson attended the final day of WRTP|BIG STEP's summer academy, which gave students from 15 schools the chance to try a trade before committing to a career.
ABC named its Craft Professional of the Year at an event recognizing apprentices' achievements.
The state's director for apprenticeship standards said the signatures were the start of new career pathways for high school and post high school students.
Gov. Tony Evers promised to invest in workforce innovation grants to fund youth apprenticeships in the future.
Gov. Tony Evers said he wanted to invest $190 million to strengthen the state's workforce.
Wisconsin construction industry insiders commented at a public hearing for a proposed rule requiring a portion of builders’ workforce to be made of apprentices when tackling certain projects.
Wisconsin saw the highest apprenticeship participation rate in two decades as the state broke more than 15,000 active apprentices, Gov. Tony Evers and the Department of Workforce Development announced on Thursday.
A proposed rule would require contractors to ensure at least one in 10 of their workers are participating in an apprenticeship program when working on state construction projects worth more than $25 million, according to a proposal written in late September.
New job pathways in the construction field are possible for Wisconsin’s youth after Gov. Tony Evers announced on Monday additions to apprenticeship offerings for high school student workers.
A legislative committee has voted to advance legislation that would give apprentices a tax break on tuition after Gov. Tony Evers vetoed a similar proposal last year.
Lawmakers are moving forward with bills that would direct $20 million in federal aid toward apprenticeship programs and provide a tax break for apprenticeships — a proposal similar to one previously vetoed by Gov. Tony Evers.
- Milwaukee Mayor’s $1.9B budget proposal has infrastructure boost
- As employers face labor shortages, Biden administration rolls out playbook for training workers
- Wisconsin Senate committee votes against confirmation for four DNR policy board appointees
- October proclaimed Architecture Awareness Month in Wisconsin
- Pre-Bid Meetings – Week of October 2, 2023
- Corn mill owners plead to federal charges in fatal explosion, will pay $11.25 million
- BUILDING BLOCKS: Second phase of Lower Yahara River Trail construction
- Sky-high mortgage rates leave homes unaffordable for more buyers, sending new home sales tumbling
- Forecast: Economic challenges ahead as rates rise and labor shortages remain
- CBRE opens office on 18th floor of Milwaukee BMO Tower
- Former inmate able to rebuild life through work in construction trades
- Zignego to lead $60M I-894 improvement project
- First prefabricated bridge in US installed in Eau Claire County
- Illinois developer worked with Wisconsin contractor to build 258-unit Wauwatosa apartment complex
- VJS Construction raises the roof for Bruce Guadalupe Community School expansion project
- Microgrid pilot project will store energy for village affected by outages
- Dane County sees uptick in highway work zone crashes, on track to exceed last year
- The Hop streetcar will debut newest service route in fall with limited service
- FPC Live slims venue proposal to 1 downtown building
- Children’s Hospital urgent care center in Milwaukee gets first round of city approval
- With Sonag Construction shut down, feds move to block indicted owner from collecting leftover assets
- Four contractors selected to build border wall prototypes
- UW-Milwaukee’s Greenstreet shaping minds (and the city)
- Turning the Corner(s) (PHOTO SLIDESHOW)