Editor’s note: This is the first in a multi-part series of blogs searching the history of Wisconsin cities.
The name Curtiss comes from a 19th Century civil engineer named Charles Curtiss, who bought 200 acres of prime land where Curtiss is currently located.
It entirely disappeared after two years of sawing down old growth trees, but the Wisconsin Central Railroad Co. named the town after him anyway.
As of 2000, there were 198 people, 68 households and 45 families residing in the village.
Jeff Moore is a data reporter with The Daily Reporter. He can be reached at (414) 225-1819.